It was the year 2006, when Joomla was introduced in the world of web development. It is an open source content management system software, which can be installed via the hosting panel on domain names for free. Since its inception, it has gone through a lot of upgrades and has become one of the most prominent content management systems, just like the WordPress. The most recent update of Joomla was released in the month of September 2012, which has been named as Joomla 3.0.
The latest upgrade i.e. Joomla 3.0 caters to the current need of web developers, which is the responsive design, as with the launch of responsive design in the market, the era of having multiple websites for different platforms, is almost over. This is because the responsive design adapts to the different sizes of the screens very quickly and the layout doesn’t get affected, in fact, it works smoothly.
There are plenty of new features, which are introduced for the first time in Joomla 3.0, listed below:
- The admin template has undergone a makeover, and is now named as Isis. This template has been made using the Twitter Bootstrap model and is responsive in nature, which means Joomla 3.0 supports responsive design.
- The front end template has also been revamped from the Alpha 2 to Prostar, which is also built on the Twitter Bootstrap model, and bears a responsive design.
- With Joomla 3.0, the installation process has also become a lot simpler and now, one can complete the installation in 3 easy steps.
- Now, one can install the language package from the Extension Manager itself.
- One can also save blank articles, which was not possible in the earlier versions of Joomla.
- In Joomla 3.0, the new Joomla User Interface Library has also been included, which can be found in “/medi/jui” folder. It can also be termed as the Joomla Software Development Kit (SDK), which includes; Bootstrap, jQuery, jQuery UI, Extended Bootstrap for Joomla, Icomoon foot icons and chosen js select boxes.
- One of the prominent developments in Joomla 3.0 is the use of .less template file in the /less directory. The developers can get the Bootstrap and JUI less files from the /media/jui/less directory.
- Joomla 3.0 also comes with a very simple module selector, which uses chosen js for real time searching.
A few days prior to the official release of Joomla CMS 3.0, the Joomla Platform was also upgraded, and now the Joomla 3.0 uses the Joomla Platform version 12.2.